Wednesday, June 6, 2012

My sewing room and what I have been sewing lately...






I went to Stonington to teach a class at Kyra's this past January and was treated to dinner and a visit to her home.

It was one of my favorite nights in my whole life ever and we did a lot of talking, laughing, bonding and admiring of Kyra and Renee's amazing home.

One of the best parts was seeing Kyra's sewing room.

Wow, that girl has got a stash.

When I came home, I was inspired to invest in some shelving (a local antiques store was where I got the best bargain and the shelves that fit my style the most, wouldn't you know?) and organize my own stash and spruce up my sewing room.

Now when I go in there everything is nice and neat and organized.

It makes me feel so much more inspired to sew... 

I most certainly am someone who thinks best when things are tidy.



My great grandmother's 1961 Kenmore.  I use it *almost* every day.  Also a cute child's chest of drawers that is perfect for my notions.




The view from the hallway...


           














































































Some special bolts and collections and a glimpse of the design wall...      



And the money shot!  Most of my stash  is in this shelf.  Ahhh.... it makes me happy to see it all neatly folded.





The rest of the stash.  Plus some books and patterns, etc.


This pincushion and needlebook are linen and were a gift from my friend Dawn.  She used the Sprout Block Tutorial from Sew Mama Sew to make the pincushion and the needlebook I believe is a pattern found in the book Zakka Style.  I love it lots.  I made the little pink flower at the March SEAM meeting.

Some scraps, a doll I ordered from Emily (formerly her blog and Etsy shop were called Ravenhill.  I am so glad I snagged one of these before she stopped making them).  The fox is from the book Countryside Softies and I won it at one of the last Craft Swaps we had (thanks, Barbara M.!)   





And this is what I have been sewing lately... little pairs of Quick Change Trousers from Anna Maria Horner's excellent, excellent book Handmade Beginnings.



 Can you guess who the little pants are for?

For once, I can tell you that it is exactly what you are thinking...

Ollie and I are going to have a baby in December.

We are both very excited...

And I have a lot of sewing to do.

XO,

Rhea



25 comments:

Jaime said...

congrats Rhea!!! That is such exciting news and I LOVE your sewing room.

mommyk8 said...

RHEA! Congratulations! So funny, I was just getting ready to start sewing some pants from that same book. I have a little one due in October. What fun!

Kyra Alex said...

You go girl!! Sweetly folded fabric and a BABY!
How exciting is this?! Can't wait to give you a big hug
Kyra

Maine Girl Creations said...

Oh Rhea!!! Congratulations!! Oh how sweet it is... :) Those quick change trousers are the BEST, Tripp has a few pairs. The sewing room is grogeous. I also happen to do my best work when my area is neat and tidy!

Emily said...

Oh my gosh, Rhea! Congratulations! I'm so happy and excited for you :)

Rowan said...

Dear Rhea:

Your friends from the sunny south are so happy for you.

warmly,

Rhodi Glenn Lexi and Rowan

I bet your Moma is smiling.

ldjm said...

Woah, congratulations!!! I'm so excited for you! I love the pants, should really make some for my little guys...

Thanks for the peek at your sewing room, I always love seeing other people's workspaces.

Atsuko D.

Manya said...

Rhea!! congratulations! this is awesome....Can't wait to see you in August....

christa said...

Yay Rhea!! Congratulations, so happy for you :)

Unknown said...

Congratulations! What wonderful news!

slowpoke said...

Yay!! I know of you through SouleMama and from your Turning Twenty online quilting class and I am completely thrilled for you! Congratulations! What a well-clad baby yours will be. :)
Thanks for the peek at your folded fabric stash and happy sewing room! Happy sewing indeed. :)

Jenny said...

Happy happy news! Congratulations and best wishes!

Tina @ Squirrel Acorns said...

Rhea!! I am so excited for you and Ollie!!!!! Now, I must come into the shop so I can say congrats in person. Oh, how I wish I lived just a little bit closer!

Lexi said...

So excited for you!!! Congrats!
♡ Lexi
FASHION: Glitter & Pearls
WEDDINGS: Glitter Weddings

Tamie said...

Congratulations. I'm so happy for you.

pamela said...

Congratulations! What exciting news!

Sarah Ann Smith said...

Was at the shop (and dropped a bundle) yesterday, missed you again, but heard the FABULOUS wonderful STUPENDOUS happy news! Major congrats.... you will know love in a whole new and utterly amazing, fierce, all-enveloping way! Hugs and Cheers, Sarah

Jeanie said...

Congratulations on your baby news!!!! Very exciting:) And, your sewing room looks so great.

Heather said...

Congratulations! Your sewing room looks great!

Sigrun said...

Congratulations!

Cindy said...

Got the knitting needles going for you, girl!

Hilary said...

Yahoo!!! Time to join the club, lady. Now I have an excuse to drop in and give you a big hug. So happy for you!

meghann said...

OMG Congratulations! xo

phamilton_gordon said...

congratulations rhea, fabulous news!

xx
phiona

Ida said...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! YAY!