Friday, December 19, 2008

Holiday Gift Giving Top Ten Countdown...#3 Braided Rag Rug

Good evening,

We are HUNKERED down tonight. It's a fine art. I like to think we Mainers have perfected it.
The snow is whipping around out there to beat the band. You'd never know except for when a plow truck goes by and you can see JUST how HARD it's snowing in their headlights. Yowzah. The kind of night when you want to crank the heat and put on a good movie and work on something handmade. A little something like...

#3 on our countdown: A Braided Rag Rug.

This is a picture of my Yoga instructor Joan with her rug. How gorgeous is this? Joan chose all of her colors (as opposed to using up scraps) and I love, Love, LOVE that periwinkle stripe running through the middle. I also love, Love, LOVE when students come back in with their finished projects and the Braided Rag Rug has an excellent rate of return. Students leave with about 1/10th of their weaving done but most finish their rug within a week. It's a beautiful thang...

The Braided Rag Rug is really fun to work on. It takes about 5 minutes to pick up the knack for it and if you are at all into things like knitting or hand-sewing (in other words, brainless, picky-uppy, putty-downy things) then you would really dig this project. It's all about the process.

And who wouldn't love one of these beauties in their house? And don't give me that "What if it gets dirty?" business. You should be so lucky as to get one of these things dirty! They look BETTER after you wash them and are more sturdy than... a really sturdy thing.

Anyways, the plow truck just went by again... time to go and stare out the window!!!

See you soon with #2 and then numero uno!

XOXO

Rhea

1 comment:

Iris E. said...

Love my bag o' goodies! I will be wrapping them for the tree soon! Thanks for all of your help...

AND for my coat! Slip of a thing is not a phrase I would ever use for myself, but thanks for saying so! Yes, that's my "skinny" coat and I have a big "walking sleeping bag" style one to cover the bum!!!!

Stay cozy!
XO
Iris