Monday, February 28, 2011

Mystery Quilt Weekend Photos

We had such a good time this weekend at the Mystery Quilt class...

What is the Mystery Quilt class?

I designed a pattern, and the gals in my class had NO IDEA what they were making: they were just given a list of materials to purchase (i.e., 30 "light/background" fat quarters, 15 "dark" fat quarters, 15 "medium" fat quarters).

It turned out to be a really good lesson in color-intuition, because sometimes when you see a pattern, you can't get past the colors/fabrics used on the cover.

The pattern I designed turned out to be little houses... I think they are so cute!

I think these all came out great: what do you think?



































































































































































































































































































































Are they not the cutest things ever?

Which ones are your favorites?

I can't decide: I like them all and they all look so different and take on different personalities depending on the fabric choices.

I love how some of them look so traditional and old-fashionedy while some of them look like Caribbean beach huts, or gnome-houses, or British town-houses, or Greek Island adobe homes, or little Christmas elf houses, and all depending on the fabric and setting choices.

And those little chimneys kill me.

Great job and a huge thank you to the wonderful group of ladies who spent this past weekend with me. What a treat to see your colorful little creations...

Thanks for going on this quilting journey with me!

I will see you all again soon,

XO,

Rhea

9 comments:

Jill said...

They are all beautiful, a job well done! But the yellow and blue one...oh, be still my heart! Also love the black and white and yellow. A good study of color indeed all the way around.

embracingitall said...

They are so gorgeous and all so unique. I love how everyone has put their own little spin on the same design. I love the quilt with the pink/red/blue and the yellow/black/white combination the most, but the rest are all so lovely too. What a fun day that must have been. What talented people you all are! Jacinta

Unknown said...

i love love love these!!! they're adorable!! and i think its great how different they all are! definitely shows personality :)

DianeY said...

They really are all so cute. I'm a little partial to the black, white & yellow one!

Michele said...

Love these quilts! The houses turned out amazingly different depending on the fabrics! I love the yellow and blue and the one with maybe Amy Butler fabrics......beautiful!

Moi said...

What a fun project and so freeing, as you said, when choosing colors. They are all so fun but especially love the yellow w/ the black and white fabrics.

Tamie said...

These are great! I wish that I had been in your class. Too bad I live so far away (although I don't really want your snow). I love how they are all so different.

pamela said...

amazing!

while yellow & black were striking, i really liked the pink,red, blue - even though some of my favorite fabric were used in the blue & yellow

ALL are amazing!

Pat Harris said...

Mystery Quilt weekend was SO much fun! The new and old friends made the event cheerful and interesting...the challenge of building 30 blocks in a weekend was daunting, but most of us managed to at least see the finish line if we didn't actually cross it by 5PM Sunday afternoon. Rhea is a great hostess and thanks to her and her Mom for all the help with ironing hundreds of blocks in progress - without that help, I couldn't possibly have finished. Seriously - it was a real blast! My only complaint is that I was too busy to shop!! Fabulous event! Can't wait 'til the next one.
Sew happy,
Pat Harris
Brunswick